Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Group Email Update 7

3/20/2011
Hey, all!  A shorter update, this time (although now that I've said it... I don't know if that'll be true).  I had a pretty busy week.

On Thursday night I went to a really nice dinner with four other girls in my program.  It was at a cute little restaurant in which we had a view of the Eiffel Tower.  The bread was made fresh in the restaurant, so it was really good.  The whole dinner was very good, actually, and not expensive at all!  It was actually much cheaper than we thought it would be.  I got a salmon steak (w/ some kind of cream sauce) with vegetables and wild rice, and a
macaron (almond biscuit) with a scoop of toffee ice cream for dessert.  My grand total? 14€.  I was very pleased.

Yesterday I went to the Centre Georges Pompidou museum (for freeeeeee) with two other friends.  We explored for a while and saw some odd pieces of artwork (a lot of it was modern).  There were a lot of pieces by Picasso and Matisse there, and that was enjoyable.  I saw a photography series that I found very interesting and I plan on looking up more of the photographer's (Richard Avedon) work later (I hope that's a safe decision).  After the museum we went for a long walk in search of a place to sit down and have dinner.  We finally stopped at a small place near a church we had previously visited with our program.  My friend Daniel and I both had duck (I wasn't sure about ordering it but, eh, when in France), and my friend Vanessa had
steak à cheval--since cheval means horse, I always mistranslated that as horse meat... but as it turns out, that just means that there's an egg on top of the steak.  Vanessa explained that it's called that because the egg is sitting on the meat like someone sits on a horse to ride it.  Makes sense.  Still odd.  That definitely makes a lot of the signs I've seen outside of cafes a little less gross, though.  I don't think I could eat horse meat...  We had dessert from a bakery we found while exploring some more.  I had a pretty (and tasty) fruit tart.  We all agreed that we'd go back to that one another time.  The woman that worked there and helped us was so nice (and even gave Daniel something for free when he went back in a second time... that's what happens when you eat outside the place and stare in the window at all the other treats!).

Today I went to a book convention that I've seen ads for all over the city.  I'm glad I went.  Since I'm a student under 26 years of age, I got in for free.  It was close to where I live, so I took the tram and hung around the convention center for about four hours.  It went by surprisingly fast.  I got five books for a little over 16€.  I was not expecting that kind of bargain!  Going to the convention was kind of a prideful thing--I booked my own ticket, figured out how to get there easily...  I went on my own, too!  I've been to conventions before, but it was interesting to try it this way, more independently.  The convention center was crowded (which I expected), but not extremely noisy (not what I expected).  There were guest lecturers and prize giveaways (I left my ticket in a raffle, basically, so I'll let you know at the off-chance that I win something... haha).


I hope you all have a great week! :)

Lots of love,

- Maeghan

No comments:

Post a Comment