Friday, March 4, 2011

Group Email Update (4)

 2/20/2011
Hello!

It just occurred to me that I didn't do an update this weekend...  Mostly because I don't know what to update you all about!  I don't want to say that nothing interesting has happened, but...  I don't know.  I guess I just got lazy!

Anyway...  I asked to be placed into a higher-level class and I was approved, so now the work is a little harder, but that's fine--I wanted a challenge and I wasn't getting one in my other class.  I took a placement test for a phonetics class (which wasn't actually a test... we sat with someone that asked us to repeat simple phrases in French and they determined our placement based on how we pronounced everything)... and that one will start next week.  The class schedules here are pretty bizarre.  I've been having grammar review/French civilization classes since I arrived, and the official grammar class started after 2 weeks, and now my phonetics one starts next week...  The lectures (AKA my theatre class and my art history class) don't start until this week, either.  The lectures only meet once a week for two hours, but phonetics meets for one hour, every day, every OTHER week.  It's very weird.  Not to mention they're in all different parts of the city.  It makes no sense!


Aside from classes this week, I'm going to the ballet on Thursday night, which I'm really looking forward to, since I liked the opera so much (it was awesome).


My friends and I are planning what we want to do later in the semester as far as traveling is concerned and it's all very exciting.  Lots of interesting stuff... but nothing official as of yet.

I go exploring after my grammar class and I've made friends outside of my program, which is really nice.  I like everyone that I've been with so far, but it's cool to have friends that come from different places.  The Cours de Civilisation at the Sorbonne is open to students from all over the world, not just those of us in the US (and especially not just New York).  Having interesting places to visit and new people to visit them with is great!  I like being able to branch out.


The weather here has been cold...  That's unfortunate because it was so nice last week and the week before.  It's been chilly and a little rainy.  I can't stand being cooped up in my building all day long, though, so despite the not-so-nice weather today, I made myself go outside and walk around.  I'm glad I did...  Staying in my room gets boring fast.  With so much to do in the city, how can I just lay around?  I can't wait til it really warms up, though.  I need good adventure weather!


I hope everything by you guys has been good!  Is there more snow coming?  I'm getting sick of it FOR you!


Take care!
With lots of love,

- Maeghan

No comments:

Post a Comment